Home Korea & Daegu Useful Information
- The unit of Korean currency is the Won (￦). Coin denominations are ￦10, ￦50, ￦100 and ￦500. Banknotes are ￦1,000, ￦5,000, ￦10,000 and ￦50,000.
- Traveler’s Check
- Traveler's checks can be exchanged for cash at banks or exchange booths. A number of stores still accept the checks instead cash. Nonetheless, the forms of credit cards and debit cards have become a more preferred means of payment by travelers. Thus trading checks is hardly observed nowadays as there is seemingly a decreasing number of stores that offer this service.
- Credit Card
- Most of the businesses in Korea widely use and accept payment by credit cards, including at major hotels, department stores, and general shops. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and other credit cards can be used; however check the service availability before making purchases as some stores may not provide this service.
- Money Exchange
- When you need to exchange your foreign currency into Korean won, visit a bank or authorized exchange service center. Banks are generally open 09:00-16:00 on weekdays, with exceptions to certain banks that operate 09:30-16:30 such as EVERRICH Bank. Please be aware that money exchange of old currency may not be accepted at certain locations. Make sure to check if banks or authorized exchange service centers accept old currency beforehand.
- Currency Converter
- www.xe.com/currencyconverter (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Arabic)
- Foreign Exchange Banks in Airports
- * Incheon International Airport bank page : https://www.airport.kr/ap/en/svc/getFacilityMain.do (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- * Gimpo International Airport bank page : https://www.airport.co.kr/gimpoeng/cms/frCon/index.do?MENU_ID=320&acd=A1101 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- Climate and Apparel
Daegu, situated in a temperate zone, has four distinct seasons. Sunny days and clear skies are expected, and light clothing is recommended. The average temperature range in May is between 18 degrees and 20 degrees Celsius.
In the evenings, a light jacket would be advisable. A hat and comfortable shoes are recommended for some tours.
Weather information: http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/index.jsp
- Time Zone
- The time zone is Greenwich Mean Time +9 hours.
- Business Hours
- Government office hours are usually from 9:00 to 18:00 on weekdays and closed on weekends. Banks are open from 9:00 to 16:00 on weekdays and closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Most stores are open every day from 10:30 to 20:00, including Sundays.
- Tip & Tax
- Tipping is not a regular practice in Korea. Service charges are included in your bill for rooms, meals and other services at hotels and upscale restaurants. Koreans occasionally do tip when they are especially pleased with the service they receive. Value-Added Tax (VAT) is levied on most goods and services at a standard rate of 10% and is included in the retail price. In tourist hotels, this 10% tax applies to rooms, meals and other services and is included in the bill.
- In Korea, 220 volt outlets are most common. Some hotels provide 110 volt outlets for shavers. Please check the power supply before use.
- Emergency Call
- 112 : Police
- 119 : Emergencies for Fire / Rescue & Hospital Services
- 129 : First Aid Patients
- 1330 : Travel Information Center
- 1339 : Medical Emergency
- Useful Website
- Korea National Tourism Organization (http://kto.visitkorea.or.kr/eng.kto)
- Gateway to Korea (http://www.korea.net)
- Daegu Convention & Visitors Bureau (http://eng.daegucvb.com/mice/main/)
- Daegu Tourist Information (https://tour.daegu.go.kr/eng/index.do)
- Daegu e-Coupon (https://www.koreadaegu.com/index.php)
- Hi Korea (https://www.hikorea.go.kr/Main.pt)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (http://www.mofa.go.kr/eng/index.do)
- Visit Korea for me (https://www.visitkoreaforme.com/eng/main.kto?utm_source=vk&utm_medium=banner)